Starting out

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

PRSmama
User

Starting out

Postby PRSmama » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:05 pm

Today I received the results of my son's psych-ed assessment that says he is functioning at a 2-2.5 year old level. He is 5.5 years old. I've been waiting for this assessment so I could buy some homeschooling materials that will be best for him....but now I still feel as lost as before.
I've been told that by law, I will have to prove that he is being taught some kind of 'approved' curriculum by the time he turns 6, in March. What kind of curriculum is suitable for a two year old?

Also, I am in Canada. Does anyone know if there's a legal defense agency like the HSLDA here?

Thanks,
Leslie
PRSmama
Mom to Jairus, 5
Honour, 3
Verity, 15 months

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:20 pm

You don't have to prove a curricula until the summer, until then you can find out what stuff is age appropriate for a preschooler. Timberdoodle.com has some great stuff for that age level and there customer service is wonderful. i highly recomend them. Be easy on him and take it slow, he has been pushed in Kindergarten I'm sure. Just let him guide you and be ready when he is.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

PRSmama
User

Postby PRSmama » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:45 pm

Thanks for your response. I'm checking out the Timberdoodle site right now.
Why do you say I wouldn't need to prove any curricula until the summer?

He actually hasn't started any school--except preschool. His delays have been documented since...birth.
PRSmama

Mom to Jairus, 5

Honour, 3

Verity, 15 months

Ramona
User

Re: Starting out

Postby Ramona » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:59 am

I don't know what the laws and rules are in Canada, but sometimes language like "approved curriculum" can be misleading. In the jurisdiction where I first started homeschooling, one of the "approved" curricula turned out to be called "self-developed" meaning I could make it up as I went along and do whatever the heck I wanted to. In the area where I live now, it turns out that if someone I get to look over my kids' work (in whatever way this third person and I agree on) thinks it looks like the kids could be getting at least 13% correct in the public schools, then we're good to go. IME after 12+ years of homeschooling, the laws really aren't all that tough once you figure out what's actually going to be required in practice.

Remember that there may be areas of your son's learning that are not reflected in that assessment score. He may be ahead of a 2.5-year level in some areas. Also, you may be able to help him move up to closer to his age-level very quickly if you find the approach that works for him and for you.

"Curriculum" that is appropriate for a 2-year-old is lots of time to play, a limited number of toys, things to "play" with other than toys, and some instruction on things like family values, any other language you're familiar with (pig latin?), the things you do all day like going to the bank and washing laundry, board games, and pre-Kindergarten skills.

Ramona

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:19 pm

Children don't have to be registered to go to school until the September after they turn 6, or first grade. I think that all the states have this rule, so you shouldn't have to worry about providing info until before the school year starts over again.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Dianne Dachyshyn
User

Good to see another Canadian

Postby Dianne Dachyshyn » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:17 am

I'm not sure of the regulations in Ontario, but in Alberta, you do not have to register your child until the year that he will turn six by the deadline. This deadline varies from province to province.

As for approved curriculum, in Alberta parents have the choice of following a traditional, a blended or a full program approach. If they choose traditional, they are not required to meet provincial curriculum outcomes. It would be good to speak to a homeschool friendly school board to find out what the provincial requirements are. Usually you can find that information from a website.

As for legal defence, I am not aware of a Canadian organization that provides that service, and I do not believe that it is necessary in Canada. I have never heard of a case of a family's right to homeschool being challenged. We have a very supportive environment in Alberta, but perhaps that is not the case in Ontario.

I remember when I started homeschooling in the early 1990's, many of my friends were worried about legal defence. I thought it was necessary at that point, too, but I have since changed my mind on that issue. I think that you would be better off to use that money to support your learning program.
Dianne Dachyshyn
www.homeschoolwell.com

Dianne Dachyshyn
User

New information on Legal Defence for Canada

Postby Dianne Dachyshyn » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:43 am

I found this site that will answer the question about legal defence in Canada: http://www.hslda.ca/. You will find the information pertaining to Canada by province. It looks like an informative site.
Dianne Dachyshyn

www.homeschoolwell.com

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”